The High-Risk Osteoporosis Clinic at UMC’s Outpatient Clinics is a specialized service for the treatment of Osteoporosis and musculoskeletal pain.
What is Osteoporosis?
- Defined as mass of bones that become fragile and break easily
- 52 Million Americans have low bone density or osteoporosis
- 1 in 2 women, 1 in 4 men will have a fracture due to osteoporosis
What are the risk factors?
Uncontrollable risk factors include:
- 50 years of age or older
- Females have greater risk than men
- Family history of osteoporosis
- Low body weight/too thin or small
Controllable risk factors include:
- Calcium and Vitamin D deficiency
- Lack of fruits and vegetables in diet
- Too much protein, sodium, and caffeine in diet
- Inactive Lifestyle
- Drinking too much alcohol
How can it be prevented?
- Diet & Exercise
- Sunlight (Vitamin D)