Unlike the other hospitals in this area, University Medical Center of El Paso is owned by the people of El Paso.UMC is the city’s only not-for-profit, community hospital, which means UMC's allegiances are to no one other than the people UMC serves.
The work began in 1915 in a two-story, adobe building. The move to 4815 Alameda happened just a year later when residents of the area raised the money to build a new hospital. It was called El Paso General.
Then, in the 1950’s, El Pasoans voted to create the El Paso County Hospital District. By doing so, they agreed to tax themselves to ensure that quality healthcare services would be available in the city, especially for its neediest residents. That’s when R.E. Thomason General Hospital was built in honor of the city's former Mayor, U.S. Congressman and Federal Judge, Mr. Robert Ewing Thomason. On July 13, 2009, it became University Medical Center of El Paso.
In 2011, UMC completed an expansion and renovation of the hospital’s Level 1 Trauma Center & Emergency Department, critical care and nursing units, to all private rooms with state-of-the-art facilities.
In 2012, UMC completed, on behalf of El Paso taxpayers, the construction of the El Paso Children’s Hospital, the region’s only hospital of its kind, equipped with state-of-the-art facilities and some of the most highly regarded specialists and subspecialists in pediatric healthcare in the nation.
In 2013, UMC initiated a comprehensive clinical plan to expand its Outpatient Clinics throughout the El Paso region to improve access to care for many El Pasoans.
Through it all, University Medical Center of El Paso’s Mission has remained the same: Here to serve all who seek help, regardless of their ability to pay. UMC is guided by these C.A.R.E.S. Values:
Pursue access to healthcare for all members of our community.
Embrace responsibility for the outcomes resulting from our choices and actions.
Treat everyone with dignity and compassion.
Provide the highest quality of care.
Exceed customer's expectations every time.