University Medical Center of El Paso has as its main goal the management and control of diabetes in order to prevent its horrible complications. The newly diagnosed patient, as well as any other patient with diabetes, will be provided the tools of education and support to deal with this disease and thereby control its effects.
These sessions on the topics mentioned are conducted by certified diabetes educators and a multidisciplinary team specializing in diabetes. An interview will be conducted with each participant prior to the sessions in order to personalize the instruction.
- Meal planning
- Exercise education
- Medication management – Insulin and oral agents
- Blood glucose monitoring instruction
- Education on prevention and treatment of potential complications
- Stress management techniques
- Sick day management instruction
- Foot exams
- Information on quitting tobacco use
- Insulin pump training
English & Spanish Sessions
There are four sessions of three hours over a period of two weeks which cover a specific lesson or lessons. Sessions will be conducted in English and in Spanish on alternating schedules. This will be the order of the sessions:
- Explanation of Diabetes, Symptoms and its Complications.
- Blood Sugar Monitoring
- Change in Behavior
- Meal Planning
- Stress Management
- Sick Day Care
- Foot Exams
- Dental Care
- Quitting Tobacco Use
- Additional Questions