University Medical Center of El Paso (UMC) policy requires non-employed individuals (non-Associates) brought by a licensed independent practitioner (LIP) to assist in providing patient care, treatment or services have the same qualifications and competence required of employed associates performing the same or similar services, in accordance with Joint Commission standards and hospital policy, H-4-2 Assessment of Qualifications and Competence of Non-Employed Individual Assisting in the Provision of Patient Care.
UMC also requires non-Associates including contract or agency employees, and professional travel staff to be on-boarded and cleared through the Human Resources (HR), Occupational Health and Nursing Education departments, as applicable, prior to commencement of any assignment at a UMC facility.
Requirements for clearance are as follows:
- Print and refer to the Non-Associates On-Boarding Process form (below) for information on the steps required to obtain clearance.
- Print the On-Boarding documents (below), complete and sign as required.
- Submit all required documentation as listed on the Non-Associates Boarding Process to the UMC Human Resources (HR) department located at the Hospital Annex, 4824 Alberta St., 3rd floor. Operating hours are Mon. – Fri. 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.; phone number is (915) 521-7950.
- Screening by Occupational Health of required immunizations, TB tests and Flu shot.
- Confirmation of clear criminal background and negative drug test results
- Verification of credentials and competency
- Attendance at Hospital Orientation or completion of the online hospital orientation must be completed prior to any patient care, treatment or services being rendered
- Registered Nurses (RN), Certified Surgical Techs (CST) and Sterile Processing Techs are also required to complete the UMC Nursing orientation and will be scheduled once applicable requirements have been met.
- A contract ID badge will be issued once all clearance requirements have been met. Contract badges provide access for a specified period of time, in accordance with established guidelines and may be extended upon request and appropriate authorization.
- An HR or Nursing Ed representative will notify you when you have been cleared to provide patient care, treatment or services.
On Boarding Process and Documents
- Forms and Instructions